Quotations, Fees and Expenses
- Quotations will be provided following an evaluation of a representative sample of the project to be worked on, and discussion with the Client as to the nature/scope of the work involved.
- Prior to commencement of the work, the Client and I will agree in writing (including via email), the scope of the project, including: medium and annotation (Word document with Tracked Changes, PDF file with markup etc.), time required for completion, project fee, expenses, commencement date and completion date.
- The Client will pay me a fee per thousand words OR per printed page OR per hour OR an agreed flat fee for the job, as agreed in writing (including via email).
- If, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages. This will be discussed with the Client before the work begins.
- Unless agreed otherwise before the project begins, payment should be received within 14 days of receipt of my invoice. Booking fees should be received within 7 days, and before commencement of the work.
- If I agree to attend the Client’s or other premises for necessary meetings, the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred are to be reimbursed by the Client.
- The Client will reimburse me for agreed reasonable expenses over and above the usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work, for example postage or printing.
- Unless otherwise agreed, the fee quoted for editing or proofreading is for one pass of a manuscript. Additional passes are treated as new projects, the terms of which will be agreed upon separately.
- If, upon receipt of the item to be worked on (or at an early stage), it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline the work.
- Upon discussion between myself and the Client on the scope of the project, dates and project fee, a booking fee will be issued to secure the Client a place in my schedule once they have completed the online booking form (or via email, if agreed upon).
- The booking form should not be completed until the full scope of the project is discussed and agreed upon.
- By completing the booking form (or via email, if agreed upon) the Client agrees to secure my services for the agreed-upon project.
- By completing the booking form (or via email, if agreed upon) the Client confirms that they have read and agreed to the terms and conditions herein.
- Booking is confirmed once the booking fee has been paid by the Client and accepted by me.
- Once a booking is complete, terms of cancellation apply (see below).
- Booking fees are non-refundable
- Booking fees should be paid within 7 days of invoice, and before work commences.
- Booking fees will be deducted from the final invoice issued once the work is complete.
- For a project with a total fee in excess of £500, the Client will pay a booking fee of £500.
- For a project with a total fee of £500 or less, the Client will pay the full fee up front. This is non-refundable.
- Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- The Client is free to cancel a project or service (or part thereof) for any reason by providing me with written notice (including via email); I must acknowledge this cancellation in writing (including via email) for this to be valid.
- I may cancel a project or service (or part thereof) at any time, for any reason, by providing written notice (including via email) to the Client. In the unlikely event that I cancel a project or service, I will provide a prorated refund of any overages of fees paid (including the booking fee).
- If either the Client or myself are subject to extraordinary circumstances that may require an extension to the times agree upon or cancellation (including illness or bereavement), either party should make contact as soon as possible to discuss the situation.
- Cancelling during the project:
If the Client decides to cancel the work during the project I reserve the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed fee (less the booking fee, which is non-refundable).
- Cancelling before the project:
If the Client decides to cancel the work with less than one month’s notice I reserve the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed fee (less the booking fee, which is non-refundable).
If the Client decides to cancel the work with more than one month’s notice the booking fee will not be refunded, however no other charges will apply.
Copyright and confidentiality
- Any finished content created by me as part of the project will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed, upon full payment of my invoice.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- I do not currently subcontract work.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and I may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- I may use the Client’s name/book title/project title in my promotional material and/or in my online portfolio of work, unless the work is of a confidential nature and asked not to do so.
- There is no need to acknowledge me in the finished work, but if the Client wishes to do so, please ask first and allow me to review the acknowledgement. Should the Client make any large changes to the work (e.g. after an edit/proofread) they should include a line to this effect if I am acknowledged, as errors introduced (e.g. after the edit) may create an inaccurate impression of my work to potential clients. I may ask to be omitted from any acknowledgements should I feel it appropriate.
- Please note, the Client is ultimately responsible for their own work, its content and how it is used. While I will endeavour to point out any particular issues, the Client is responsible for ensuring their project is appropriate for publication.
I cannot guarantee that the project will be accepted for publication.
I can accept no liability for any legal action arising from inaccurate or defamatory information in a piece of writing.
Content delivered to me for the scope of the project is copyright of the Client. In this respect, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.
- This agreement is subject to Scots law, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of Scotland.
Booking Form / Contract of Services
The following contract agreement is for use only by clients who have already discussed their project requirements and agreed a booking date and fee with me. If you would like to talk to me about a project please contact me through my Contact Page.