Whether you are an author publishing traditionally, a self-publisher or just collecting together your grandmother’s recipes to send to the family around the world, you want your writing to be accurate and well presented.
Specialising in historical fiction and non-fiction I can proofread your material, edit it, critique it, index it or even design it for you, to make your publication the best it can be.
I work with hard copy (that’s the physical document, the one you hold in your hand) or Word documents (or compatible files) and PDFs, marking up (or tracking the changes in a Word doc) to allow you to see where improvements can be made. These are always only recommendations, it’s up to you whether you decide to go with the changes or not … your work will always be yours. We’ll work closely so that I know what you need and you are comfortable with the process. When I design your book I use InDesign to create a print ready PDF file ready for uploading.
I can also proofread/edit your website, ensuring that links work and navigation is easy for your visitors.
I also offer a transcribing service for old documents, so if you are having trouble deciphering that old will or letter I can read it for you.
To help you decide which service you require I’ve put together a quick breakdown of what each service entails.
Sometimes editing becomes a mix: a light edit may be called a proof-edit, developmental editing is where we look at the big-picture items in your document (not look at the nitty-gritty of the copy-edit), and critique will look at your work overall and see what works well and what doesn’t. If you need help and don’t know where your work fits into the sequence please feel free to contact me.
Manuscript Critique (Assessment / Evaluation)
Once you’ve written your manuscript and let it loose on your Beta readers, you may want a professional eye to look over your story. A manuscript critique will generally address the following:
- Plot pace and development
- Marketability and Target audience
- Writing – structural strengths and weaknesses, grammar, supporting documents etc
Happens once the copy has been written:
- Corrects errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar and style.
- Makes sure the text is appropriate for the readership and easy to read (you don’t want it too technical for the layman, or dumbed down for the expert).
- Ensures consistency throughout the document, both in terminology and style.
- Checks all areas of your publication, including tables, graphs, captions, footers, references, bibliographies etc.
The final check before going to print:
- Compares the proofs to the edited copy. Makes sure that errors haven’t crept in, either working directly with the edited material or working ‘blind’.
- Checks for errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar and style. Looks for inconsistencies throughout the document.
- Checks the flow of the document, makes sure that all the pages, tables, figures, graphs etc. are there and numbered correctly.
Book Interior Design
Created in InDesign, you will be supplied with a print ready PDF file ready to upload to your publishing platform.
Design is offered in the following categories:
- Simple (formatting only) – I will format your book from your finished document. There will be no design element, but layout will be corrected ensuring paragraphs and chapters are spaced properly, page numbers are added and all text is correctly placed.
- Simple – no images, black ink only (such as a novel). Taking the theme of your book and your preferences I will create a number of designs (usually 2–4) for you to choose from. The chosen design will then be used to format your book.
- Complex – text only (such as non-fiction books with references, notes or more complicated layouts). As above, but for complex texts.
- Images – these will be charged for separately.
Kindle and ePub Formatting
I will take your finished manuscript and convert it to allow you to upload it to your publishing platform of choice.
So what next?
I’ve prepared a handy two-page document to allow you to note down all those vital ingredients that help towards a great working relationship with your editor. Remember, the first editor you approach may not be the best fit, but being armed with the right information makes the whole process easier. Just click on the image below for the free pdf.